Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt



Saturday, December 15, 2007

Still writing and reading.

As I've told many people I've caught up with lately... not much is going on. Hence, my absence from the blogging world lately. But in order to breathe a bit of much needed life back into my blog, and to reassure everyone that this is not an abandoned vehicle, I'm going to write about what's going on with me.

I am reading and writing. Reading more than writing, but I dug up and started working on an untitled story I started writing a while ago, and it's coming along pretty well.

Since Candide, which I mentioned in my last entry, I also have read and finished another book, The Infidelity Pact by Carrie Karasyov. I had a good idea it wouldn't be a good book, but over the years, I've found that my motivation to write fiction goes way up if I read and observe the new stuff out there, so this book was part of a plan to boost my confidence, really. It boosted it quite a bit on so many levels, because not only was it written sloppily, it was also written incompetently. Harsh words, I know, but I found so many inconsistencies in the story that could only be explained with incompetence and sloppiness, it was ridiculous.














I am now reading The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant a historical fiction novel set during the rennaissance in the Italian city of Florence. The novel is narrated by the heroine, Alessandra, who recounts her story beginning from the time she was 14, and a learned, curious female in a time and place where women were meant to either marry and procreate, or become nuns. The book is a little over 400 pages, and I'm making quick headway. So far, it's been a rich, intriguing and exciting story that paints a Florence in the most intimate way possible. I can't put it down.

No comments: