Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt



Thursday, January 7, 2010

Old Man Winter's charm

Yummy, warm and cozy Zigzag Scarf.

It's no secret that Old Man Winter and I don't get along much. Aside from hating the cold and being one of those people who are miserable until spring tickles my nostrils with the smell of awakening earth, I hate OMW because I feel like my wardrobe options are limited. That could just be a psychological thing, or it could just be that I don't want to freeze in the name of fashion, but darn it, that old man really cramps my style.

Just like everything else in the world, however, OMW has his charms. I still wouldn't choose this over laying in the sun on a hot summer's day and waking up to birds chirping instead of the crunch of frozen streets under snow tires, but there is some charm to the cold. I would have to say that the only thing that keeps me from hibernating like a bear all winter is the ability to wear things I make, and quite yummy things they are. Scarves, arm warmers, hats, mittens, sweaters... I love making these things and winter gives me the opportunity to put them to good use.

The Zigzag scarf is one such item that I have been utilizing during this abnormally horribly cold time of the year. Not only is it chunky and yummy and keeps me totally warm, but it gets a lot of compliments. Anyone who knits or crochets, or makes anything by hand, really, appreciates each compliment, because most of the time people don't notice the scarf or hat or arm warmers you spent a week making, counting rows and getting cramps in your fingers from the effort. To get a compliment makes the effort all the more worthwhile, and I wanted to write a little tidbit about the scarf that has been giving me pride in my handiwork.

No comments: