Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt



Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Can I have that in pink, please?


Someone once told me that pink was actually considered the color of masculinity. Since I'm nursing quite an obssession with this adorable color, I thought I'd look up this factoid lingering in my memory.

I found that pink is a very complicated color. Though it is considered the color of beauty, goodness and grace, it indeed was a color associated with masculinity. See, in 1920s western culture, you dressed a baby boy in pink and a girl in blue. This assignment of colors continued through to the 1940s, when it was switched. It's very interesting to read other facts about pink, so I recommend visiting the pink page on Wikipedia to learn more.

But in the meantime...

As Mr. Big once said to Carrie in an episode of Sex and the City, "My entire life is [pink]."

My cellphone is pink, so is the plastic case I put over it to protect it. I recently bought earrings that are pink. My blog is now pink. I have several pieces of clothing in pink.

It is perhaps my subconcious going back to my childhood, when I was a little princess with a pink obssession. Everything had to be pink, and the pinker, the better. Or perhaps I'm just loving the color because it's just a pleasing color to the eye, especially if it's of the paler variety.

Whatever the reason for this pink obssession, I can't help but continue to feed into it. This pretty color makes me happy. Sure, it's perhaps a false association, but the little princess still inside me still sees pink as incredibly feminine and delicate, and I must douse everything I see fit in pink, because it is my color of the moment.

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Also, pale blue was a delicate, feminine color. Think of all the old Disney movies, the heroines were always dressed in blue. (Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, the Pinnocchio fairy, Sleeping Beauty). And these were well into the 50s and 60s, still wearing pale blue!

"There has been a great diversity of opinion on the subject, but the
generally accepted rule is pink for the boy and blue for the girl. The
reason is that pink being a more decided and stronger color is more
suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty,
is prettier for the girl." [Ladies Home Journal, June, 1918]

And we can supposedly thank Nazi Germany for the switch.

Reem said...

I remember wondering why Sleeping Beauty's dress was blue, and not pink... because it was turned to pink at one point in the movie. And all the disney princess merchandise that's out, has sleeping beauty in a pink dress, have you noticed?

Cool info.