Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt



Sunday, April 20, 2008

Some days are better than others.

Some days writing comes naturally. On days like those, topic(s) are clear, and words flow together and out of me.

Other days writing is like pulling teeth. I have no desire to write, nor the ability. Those are easy to deal with because they're easy to ignore. I can just go on with my day(s) and life doing something else without a problem, because I know that the next phase will be a release from an intense writer's block. It's after such dry spells when I experience the floodgates of writing and end up producing good stuff I'm proud of, and sometimes get great feedback from readers that encourages me to write more and more.

It's the days where I want to write but can't that are hard to get through. It's the worst kind of writer's block to not have a topic and/or ability to write, but have that longing inside you to write. It's like going through withdrawal. All you wanna do is write and see yourself accomplishing something, but you can't.

I'm trying to figure out ways to combat such severe writer's block lately. What better way than to use my best and first form of release, i.e., writing, to help combat writer's block?

So, here I am writing about my writer's block and it's helping not only satiate my longing for writing (if only for a little while), but it also helps me create material that could be useful to a reader suffering from the same problem, or could be of use to me later.

In the meantime, this little blog post has helped me, and oiled the old writing engine enough to move forward, and hopefully write something of more substance very soon.

No comments: