Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt



Monday, December 1, 2008

Who are you people?

I've been keeping an informal count of the overall number of visitors to my blog for quite some time. I unfortunately can't remember when I added the counter at the bottom of the page, but it was over the summer.

Throughout my keep up of this blog the last two or three years, I've had a few interesting visitors. Two that come to mind are a guy from Portugal who had seen my post about my visit to Rocky Mountain National Park during the summer of 2007 and thanked me for sharing the picture, and a man from the Virgin Island of St. Croix who'd seen my post about my visit there, and thanked me for writing about his island.

These two guys left nice little comments on those posts and that's how I knew about them and it was quite a surprise to me that my blog was being found by complete strangers overseas. All that time I was under the impression that only my friends and family were bothering to look at my blog.

Being that I unfortunately don't update my blog each day, I find it hard to believe that between Nov. 25 and Dec. 1 my friends and family have managed to visit it that many times when I haven't even updated the thing since Nov. 17. I mean, I only have a handful of friends that read my blog, and even fewer family members. Hmmm.

Now, I know that there are cool plugins that can tell you exactly where those hits are coming from, and when they came in, but I not only have no idea how to use/read those things, but it's just plain no fun that way! So... who are you people that are visiting my blog? How did you find out about it and do you visit it regularly? If you do, what makes you come back? Leave a comment and say hello, I'd love to meet you! If you don't feel like doing so, or have stumbled upon my blog by accident, I thank you for taking the time to visit and read!

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

OK, well you know I'm here regularly. I subscribe to your RSS with Google Reader, so it notifies me when you have a new post and that's why I return. (That and it's nice to keep updated on your happenings and see what interesting things you have to say this time.)

I know from monitoring the stats of my blogs that I get a LOT of people who found me by chance on a search or something, so some of your more obscure commenters may have come to you that way.

You're probably right not to set up the stat monitoring. It can become an obsession to see who is visiting your blog, what they're looking at, where they're from, and trying to guess who they might be (oh I've seen that one a lot and they are in x country, that must be my cousin so-and-so).

I have it all set up on my art and movie blogs, but for some reason I never did for my personal blog.