Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt



Sunday, July 27, 2008

A fun evening despite a dull board game

I had the opportunity to sample the Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader? board game this Saturday night, and though I don't really watch the show unless I happen to stumble upon it, I have to say the TV version is a lot more exciting. I found the board game to be dull, boring and the questions are either about things nobody who isn't some kind of guru about a subject would know, little else a fifth grader, or even a 30-year-old; or so ridiculously dumb, there's no satisfaction from answering them.

The few times I've caught the show on TV, I've found the questions to be interesting, and at least familiar subjects or keywords; even when I don't know the answer, I can at least guess, but with the board game it was nearly impossible.

I did have fun, nonetheless. My sister and I were invited to dinner at a friend's house, and that was where the game took place. We played by the rules the first couple of times, but then it got too dull, so we changed the rules slightly. Then that got too boring, and so we just started reading the million dollar questions and guessing at those. At which point I realized that I know details about certain subjects that don't answer the question being asked, yet make me feel smarter than a fifth grader anyway.

No comments: