Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt



Sunday, September 23, 2007

Encouragement alongside disappointment

It's been a week since I started my daily basement office time, and I'm glad to say things are still: so far, so good.

The past week has opened the floodgates of writing in my head. So much so, that I had three columns posted in the Intrepid Media gallery, all in a row, in less than a week. I was beginning to feel a little self-concious about my constant writing like I had no life, but I got over that pretty quick. Just today, I received an email from Joe, Intrepid Media's owner saying that one of those three columns will be featured on Wednesday.

Aside from Intrepid Media, no writing gigs yet. As a matter of fact, there have been some minor disappointments, though I'm far from being discouraged completely.

First off, I asked for advice from fellow Intrepid Media writers, who are more familiar with freelancing than I am. I was lucky to get some major support from a few people. They all encouraged me and reminded me that my writing at IM is not to be underplayed. Also, I obtained contact info for an editor at Pool & Spa Magazine, and was encouraged to write in with mention of the referrer's name.

I pulled together some clips and fired off an email to this editor on Wednesday, as soon as I got the info. I have yet to hear back from this editor, but I'm not completely discouraged, as it still might be too early to tell whether I've been officially rejected or not. Editors are after all very busy people with tons of writers beating their doors, so I realize this might take some time.

Aside from this editor, I also was able to find two other freelance opportunities to inquire about. I learned a lot doing this, as I put together a sparse, yet sufficient writer's resume.

Another advantage for getting started on emailing editors and publications is my long-time will to gather all my clips available on the internet, and make them easily accessible for myself. I'd been wanting to do that for quite some time, but never got the true motivation to do so thoroughly. Before Wednesday all my clips were scattered all over the internet in places where I couldn't find them without a google search. Now they're all listed in my favorite places, each with their recognizable titles, and easily accessible for me, as well as future editors.

Tomorrow will begin another week in my journey toward freelance writing and I'm looking forward to it.

In the meantime, make sure you visit intrepidmedia.com on Wednesday and read the new feature column!

No comments: