Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt



Sunday, September 16, 2007

Life is good right now

Well first off, things in my workspace are looking great. I didn't think it would work so well for me, since it's in the basement, but I absolutely love it. It's a great place to go to do writing or anything else away from any distractions. I've "prettied up" the place by moving clutter out of the area I'm using, and of course cleaning and dusting. I've also furnished my workspace with everything basic an office needs. I now have a good size dry-erase board ready to be put up on the wall, a calendar, a wastebasket and a few desk essentials to hold pens and such things.

So, what do I do when I'm down in my basement workspace? Lots of things. For one thing, I've been searching and bidding on freelance jobs that vary from writing to proofreading, in order to get a jumpstart on the freelancing life I hope to seriously build for myself. So far I haven't had any luck, but it's just the nature of the business when you're starting out like I am, I suppose.

Also, I've written two pieces I plan to either put on the blog, or publish on Intrepid Media. I'm still working on last touches for both pieces, and hopefully after the final touches are finished, I will know where to showcase those babies.

One of those pieces is about Ramadan, the Muslim holy month of fasting, which is right now. It's mostly an informational piece that explains in layman's terms what this month means, what it celebrates and how Muslims celebrate it aside from fasting from dawn to dusk. I'm pretty proud of it, but I still need to make sure my facts are absolutely correct before I let everyone read it and get the wrong information. After all, my purpose is to educate and maybe correct misconceptions.

Of course, as with any job done at a computer, there comes a time when a person must goof off and waste time online. What do I do to waste time online? Right now, I'm pretty obssessed with Facebook. I even wrote a piece about my newfound online obssession on Intrepid Media titled i heart facebook.

Pretty much everyone reading this blog has either heard me raving about Facebook, or has visited my crazy page. Aside from getting in touch with friends from days of old, and keeping in touch with the current people in my life in a fun way through the internet, Facebook's applications are blowing me away. I've added cool photos, art, movie clips, my favorite football (soccer) clubs and favorite book lists. The only downside to Facebook is its recording of every move you make on your profile's Newsfeed... but that is easily taken care of with a click of the mouse-- much like everything else done on Facebook. I'm sure there will come a day soon when Facebook will just be one more website to remember my password to, but right now, it's the coolest website ever.

When I'm not "working" or feeding my Facebook obssession, I'm fasting and doing all the things one should do during Ramadan. My Ramadan piece will explain all these things, but one of the things I've been doing is reading the Qur'an for the first time on my own. All the years I've been fasting and praying, I've never actually sat down with the Qur'an and read it, and it's been such an eye-opening and wonderful experience for me. The reading is difficult, I must admit, but what I'm getting out of it is something worth the difficulty and tongue-twisting I've been experiencing. I've learned so much about my religion that I unfortunately was not aware of, and found a great tool for comfort aside from prayer. I know this sounds cliche, but I really feel absolute serenity when I'm reading and understanding what I thought I understood before.

So, obviously its been an eventful week for me. I've put together an office for myself, I've started taking action toward my goal of being a freelance writer, developped an obssession with Facebook and discovered the joy of reading an amazing book that has become a comfort to me mentally and physically.

Life is good right now.

2 comments:

Mustafa Şenalp said...

ÇOK GÜZEL BİR SİTE.:)


trkey

Reem said...

I don't speak Turkish, and I'm not sure what that means, but I think I'm guessing it's a positive thing judging by the smiley face :-) Thank you for reading my blog. I would read yours, but it's in Turkish! ;)