Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt



Thursday, November 8, 2007

Trying a new way of trying new things

So now that my parents are back in town, my life has become easier, and I have a lot more time on my hands to do the things I enjoy doing. Though I'm proud and happy to say that I've gained some culinary experience in my parents' absence, along with ninja cleaning expertise, and even made a Halloween costume, I did neglect to write anything publishable outside of this blog. I suppose I am going through a brief and mild writer's block I plan to overcome in the next few days.

In the meantime, I'm into trying new things, which is pretty much what I like to do anyway... but usually, I try new things privately. Up until now, I've either read or watched videos to learn something new. I even attempted to learn Portuguese on my own just a couple of years ago, and though I made good enough progress for being self-taught, I suppose I missed out on the conversational part, which is essential for learning a language and can only be achieved in a group.

Anyway, I'm trying a new way of trying new things... I'm taking classes. I have yet to be on a role sheet for Spanish or dance classes (my ultimate goal), but I took the first "class" since graduating from college just today. Cycling at the rec center. It kicked my butt, and I was nervous walking in not knowing how to set up or adjust the stationary bike, but I found myself enjoying the experience of working out in a group, where you can ask questions and get encouragement that is aimed specifically at you. It was nice to say the least, and I plan on repeating this experience with more than just cycling.

Of course, I'll still read and watch videos to learn about things, but now I am more inclined to take a class that is convenient and fun.

No comments: