Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt



Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Epiphanies & inspirations

I mentioned in my last post that though I'm going through a blah patch, I have been rummaging through some past writings of mine to have something to work with and move forward. I looked through stuff I wrote in the way of fiction, and came up with very little other than an epiphany. Fact is, my fiction writing stinks. I'm simply not that good at fiction. At least not yet, and I plan on polishing that somehow. How that will happen is something I need to figure out. Classes, writing groups, soliciting feedback from some pros I know. I will talk more about that later on when it's clearer.

In the meantime, I've been inspired to write on despite being fictionally challenged, thanks to Joelle, a librarian at my local library. I don't know Joelle and have never talked to her, but her choice book to be displayed on the staff picks shelf was not only a great read, but a great and inspiring spring board for something I started last year, but never finished. Surprise surprise, I know. I am one of those people who starts a lot of things, but finishes only a handful of them. I'm not gonna say that this latest writing inspiration is gonna be one of the handful, but I'm pretty confident in my strong desire to make it one of the handful.

I choose not to share what the book that brought on this writing boost is, nor what I'm working on, because I feel that sometimes talking about something automatically puts it in the unfinished pile. I don't know. Maybe it's psychological. Maybe I'm just plain crazy, but nonetheless, I'm trying a new approach and hope I can come on here and tell you great news one of these days. Here's hoping!

No comments: