Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt



Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Discovering Paul Potts

A discovery I wish to share is Paul Potts.

Paul Potts is a British cellphone salesman, hailing from South Wales. Paul recently hit it big as an opera singer on a British talent show dubbed Britain's Got Talent. I've never watched the show, and in fact had no idea it even existed until I was shown the clips I've embedded below by my father.

The piece Paul sings in the first clip is that of "Nessun Dorma!" from Giacomo Puccini's opera Turandot. I am a big fan of opera, particularly Giacomo Puccini's work and especially Paul's choice to wow the judges and audience on the show. "Nessun Dorma!" is an aria from Turandot that gives me goosebumps each time I hear it. Even before I knew what it was about, I felt it and fell in love with it, and think you will too.



This next clip is the performance Paul gave to get to the final competition in the show. In this, he sings "It's time to say goodbye." I've only heard one version of this song before, sung as a duet by Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli. Though it's beautiful the way Sarah and Andrea sing it, Paul gives it quite a bit of justice singing it on his own.



And finally, Paul won fair and square. I don't know about the competition, as I've only seen these clips from the show, but I'm pretty sure that Paul rocked and deserved to win. With Luciano Pavarotti's sad departure, it's nice to know that there are still those who have a passion that comes out vocally, and beautifully.



As I said, I'm a fan of opera, but I imagine that even if you're not, you are blown away by that amazingly beautiful voice. I guess he won't be needing that job selling cellphones anymore, eh?

No comments: