Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt



Thursday, October 11, 2007

A sort of spiritual awakening


So, today marked the last day of Ramadan. It is official that Friday, October 12 is the first day of Eid ul-Fitr, or the great feast three-day celebration following the month of daily fasting from dawn to dusk-- Ramadan.

All the years I've been fasting and praying during the month of Ramadan, I've neglected to do one very important thing-- reading the Qur'an.

This Ramadan, and for the first time in my life, I've sat down and read the Muslim holy book, cover to cover, all by myself. This is quite a feat for me.

For years, I thought that just fasting and praying was enough to make Ramadan a complete spiritual and soul-cleansing experience. This year, I've realized that I was very wrong, and that I was missing the very essence of Ramadan.

You see, Ramadan is the very month that the Qur'an was first introduced to the Muslim prophet Mohammed (PBUH) through the messenger angel, Gabriel. To not read the Qur'an during Ramadan is, well... dumb to say the least. I've been stupid.

I've now absolved myself of this immense stupidity. I've learned so much about my own faith, I feel as if I've experienced a great spiritual awakening this past month.

Until next Ramadan, I feel ready to face the next year with a fresh and new spirituality to get me through it.

No comments: